Saturday, March 31, 2012

Review: The Doors / The Doors



Rating: 6 Stars (Diamond) * * * * * *


Guess I could review an album I can think of that constitutes my highest rating on my scale, and that might as well be the self-titled album by The Doors, whose album LA Woman I have also reviewed in detail.  Though I love LA Woman, this album is the one that the Doors are arguably the most famous for.  Rightfully so, since every song on this album is true greatness.


The opening track is Break on Through (To the Other Side), which is one of their best known songs and one that captures the feel of the 60s very well (I assume, I wasn't actually there).  It is an epic fast tempo song to kick off the album as well as Doors' career.  It immmediately slows down with the groovy Soul Kitchen which has some of the strangest lyrics I can think of, yet has an awesome melody that is fairly simple yet brilliant.  Next is the Crystal Ship, a ballad that has great piano work from Ray Manzarek and is a rare moment of solemness from the band.


The momentum picks back up with Twentieth Century Fox, which makes me wonder what the relationship is to the film production company of the same name.  A great song that has somewhat of a Beatles feel, with samples of the band members stomping on the floor for percussion.  Following this is Alabama Song (Whiskey Bar), a peculiar cover song that is probably a nod to the Whiskey a Go Go joint that the Doors played at in their early years.


Side A concludes with Light My Fire, the song that officially jump started The Doors' career, reaching number 1 on the Billboard 200.  And what a song, with great lyrics and instrumental breakdowns by Manzarek and Kreiger.  There are two versions of the song, one that is a half step lower than intended due to an error on the vinyl recording process, and the speed corrected version that is the way the song was "supposed" to be heard.  I prefer the broken version myself.


Side B opens with the cover song Back Door Man, complete with lyrics about the deepest subject to ever grace music: women, chicken, pork, and beans.  I Looked at You is probably the weak link on the album if there is one and is the one I'm least familiar with due to the desire to get to later tracks over this one.  End of the Night is another slow ballad with a very different feel than the Crystal Ship, with a much more ominous tone.  The final "jam" type song is Take it as It Comes, a fast paced song with explicit lyrics and an awesome spanish sounding guitar riff.  The final song is the long escapade, The End.  A song controversial even by today's standards, where Morrison sings about a killer who suffers a strong Oedipus complex.  Another classic of the band's off of this album.


I've only known of this album for about a year yet I rate it as one of the most solid albums I've ever heard. Thank you Rock Band 3 for introducing me to this absolutely lovely album.

No comments:

Post a Comment