Sunday, March 11, 2012

Review: Head Hunters and Thrust / Herbie Hancock



Rating: 4 Stars (Silver)    * * * *





Rating: 3 Stars (Blue)     * * * 



I only very recently discovered Herbie and I've been rather happy with my findings.  Head Hunters is a great album, with only four songs, yet each are jam-fests.  Chameleon is absolutely wonderful and Sly is a great ride as well.  Watermelon Man and Vein Melter are enjoyable as well but drag on a little at points.


Thrust is great as well, though doesn't feel quite like it has quite as much soul in it as Head Hunters.  However, I really want to give this a high rating because I adore the song Butterfly.  It is definately a song that belongs alongside Chameleon as the best songs in this pair of Hancock albums.


Overall, a great jazz listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment